KDC’s decontamination service is often provided as part of a broader decommissioning, demolition and land remediation service.
KDC’s Characterisation, Decontamination and Demolition methodology:
- Is based upon mechanical means wherever practicable
- Uses manual intervention only within safe and stable environment
- Uses well trained, experienced and security cleared staff
- Decommissions the facility in a manner that keeps manual intervention to a minimum
The precursor to any decontamination activity is to develop management, health and safety and environmental arrangements and the project quality plan.
KDC then designs the decontamination approach including:
- Provision of all environmental, contamination (radiological, asbestos, chemotoxic & biological) and safety case documentation
- Definition of Waste Routes and provision of all contaminated waste management documentation
- Confirmation of discharge licenses and routes
- Definition of all contamination and environmental monitoring
- Provision of contamination advice
- Design of ventilation/containment systems and enabling works
Characterisation of the potential hazards is essential and KDC will undertake this in the design stage through:
- Desktop study and development of the History File
- Confirmation of likely contaminants, isotopes and markers
- Prior Contamination and Radiological Risk Assessment
- Definition of action levels
Containment is through a risk based selection using sealed glovebags in designated areas often with vented containments.
Methods include: wipes/abrasives, wrap and cut and fix for demolition.
KDC case studies can be found here