Our Approach to Health, Safety and the Environment
“The safe and sustainable delivery of our operations is one of KDC’s core principles. My commitment is to ensure every one of our employees returns home safely at the end of every working day”
Providing a healthy and safe working environment for our employees is of paramount importance. We relentlessly pursue excellence and are committed to continuous improvement. This approach is reflected in our values and is cascaded throughout our business through our HSE Policies, Management Systems and regular two way communication processes.
Our safety performance is a critical factor of our success and our projects are not seen as successful unless they are delivered safely. Our approach to health and safety management is continuously reviewed so that we accurately reflect the demands of evolving legislation and standards, our customer’s needs and industry best practice.
KDC’s management systems are independently audited and accredited to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001. These systems together with our qualified, experienced and motivated people have enabled KDC to achieve exemplary safety, health and environmental performance.
KDC’s people are the most important part in the success of our safety programme and our customers value our approach.
KDC has received numerous awards in recognition of health and safety achievements, including:
- AstraZeneca: Gold Standard Award 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017
- In recognition of contribution to SHE Improvement
- Dow Chemical Company: Outstanding Safety Performance Award 2007, 2010, 2014
- In recognition of outstanding safety performance
- Northern Gas Networks: Considerate Contractors Bronze Award
- National site award winner for demolition of Bishop Auckland gas holder station for NGN
- Demolition and Recycling International: Quality Assurance Award
- Position 44 in world’s top 100 demolition contractors
- ARCA: Gold Award for Training
- In recognition of achievement in attaining the Gold ARCA training standards
- National Federation of Demolition Contractors: Quality Assurance Award
- Accredited Site Audit Scheme – Excellent site standards, safe working methods and management systems
- ARCA: Quality Assurance Award
- In recognition of KDC’s excellent site standards, safe working methods and management systems
- British Safety Council : International Safety Award 12 Consecutive Years
- In recognition of accident incident levels below industry levels
We also received a Global Safety Award from Dow Chemicals. Richard Smith, Dow’s Global Demolition Director said:
“KDC continues to demonstrate an outstanding commitment to the safe planning and execution of all field work on Dow demolition projects. We truly believe KDC’s superlative performance is a reflection of the leadership and support of the entire KDC management team, as well as the diligence and dedication of all KDC personnel"
We are not complacent. We are always willing to learn and develop and seek out continuous improvement in this critical area for KDC, its customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.